Thursday 3 December 2015

Enjoying Life by letting go of the past


Letting go of the past is not an easy thing to do. All of us at some point in our lives have held on to past memories. Many of these things that we have had a tendency to hold on to have caused us to have feelings that are not good and I am saying this because I have been through so many ups and downs in my life. Not letting go of the past is also the reason there are so many conflicts in the world and disagreements between nations.

When you hold on to a past memory that is negative, you don’t feel good about yourself. Your self-esteem gets lower. Then everything in your life gets worse. It is like a snowball rolling down a mountain. As the big snowball rolls down the mountain, it increases in speed and intensity until it hits the bottom and becomes a pile of wet snow. Similarly, that’s what will happen to you in your life if you don’t let go of negative past experiences. When you hang on to these negative experiences, they make you feel bad and they won’t allow you the chance to succeed and experience the good things that life has to offer. Holding on to these negative experiences is like holding onto a cup of poison. When I was going through my issues for much of the year 2011, I kept on searching for answers. On the night of November 30, 2011, I was saved by a stranger that I met and talked to for a half hour. I walked away from that conversation feeling so much better. It was as if a huge burden had been lifted from my shoulders. All the emotional baggage and anger issues that had bothered me for almost a full year were gone in an instant.

I felt as free as a bird and I still do. I felt like I had the wings to fly. The world and the Universe are smiling at me now as I write this.

The power of this experience allows me now to enjoy life once again with no major issues. Enjoying life is your right because you deserve this. I will be discussing in future posts how to enjoy life more.

Now your next question might be how do I let go of negative past events? How do I make it so that I begin to enjoy life again?  Life experience is the best way to learn how to be mature enough to let go of the negative past events, move forward and enjoy your life again. It is your responsibility to recognize that these events serve no purpose. They hold you back and prevent you from living the kind of life that you want to live. And they certainly do not allow you to attract positive events into your life.

If such as you have a grudge or a problem with a friend because of the way that he or she treated you, do you think that this feeling is going to help you? Having a problem with a friend obviously doesn’t help you. What do you suppose the strategy would be to solve this situation? The strategy would be to think about ways to improve the relationship with your friend if it is possible. Sometimes in friendships, one person wants to go their separate ways and if that happens, the best thing to do is to accept that this happened and move on. Holding on to resentment that you have towards another person is not good human relations. There is no escape from human relations because everywhere that you go, you will be around people. Letting go of a grudge towards a person allows you to have a better life because you will be enjoying life more. A life free of resentment is another step to enjoying life.

The next thing that I would suggest that you do is to focus on what outcome that you want to have happen. As you focus on a desired outcome, then your mind and subconscious mind begin to find ways to help you create something similar to what you are focusing on. All you have to do is just focus on what you want to have happen, have faith that it will happen at the right time, and then be open to accepting the outcome. You really need to trust that you will receive what you focus on. This is the most important part of the process. This is a brief summary of the steps outlined in the movie The Secret.

For example, if you would like to have a cup of coffee, then focus on having that cup of coffee. Make it your intention to attract that cup of coffee that you want. Believe and have faith that the nice, hot cup of coffee will eventually be yours to enjoy. Your mind will come up with ways to help you get that cup of coffee. It is important to relax and have faith in the Universe. Then, be open to accepting that cup of coffee and enjoy it as much as you can.
 

I know that this was a very simple example. You can us this process when you focus on getting anything that you want no matter how big it is. Size does not matter at all to the Universe. The Universe would probably laugh and say “What size? Size doesn’t matter to me. You just ask for what you want and I’ll bring it to you. Just trust me.” That’s how the Universe would communicate if it were a human. This is a Universe that is full of laws and everything that happens in our lives happens because we attract what we focus on with the greatest power and intention. It is my belief that we live in a world where the Universe is very kind to us.

I realize that negative event s happen to everyone. But holding on to memories of negative events or feeling anger towards a friend or someone you know is not worth it. Such memories and feelings create stress and they can make you feel sick in the long term. These situations can create major health problems for you. It takes the experience of living life to come to the realization that holding on to negative memories or bad feelings towards people that we know is not good for us. Such feelings are not good for our physical, mental or emotional health.

From this moment forward, I choose to let go of any anger or resentment towards a person. You can do the same if you really focus on making it a reality. The other choice is to hold on to that resentment which is not good for you. What choice will you make today? I hope it is the choice to let go of the past and enjoy your life.

Written by Olukayode Orikeye

No comments:

Post a Comment