Thursday 5 May 2016

The power of forgiveness

                                         Image result for forgiveness
“A few years ago our friend Terrilynn went through a terrible tragedy when her twenty-two-year-old son was murdered at college. One of the young men who were involved in the murder was convicted and about to be sentenced. Just before the sentencing date, Terrilynn encountered the truth. Despite her grief, she came to a conviction: “if I had only one month to live, I would want to forgive everyone, including my son’s murderer.”
When the time came for the ruling, the judge asked Terrilynn if she wanted to say anything to the man who was involved in her son’s murder. She stood up in the court room and read aloud the most beautiful letter of forgiveness. She looked at the young man who took her son’s life and said, “I choose to forgive you for my own healing because I see Jesus standing next to you, begging me to forgive you. And if you become a saver of lives instead of a destroyer of lives, then my son’s death won’t be in vain.”
The judge was stunned. He asked if he could have a copy of her letter and said that all his years on the bench, he had never heard such a powerful statement.

The young man broke down in tears and said he wanted to hug Terrilynn. She soon began to visit him in prison and mentor him. Over time he made a faith commitment to Christ and today is growing in his new walk with God. When Terrilynn was asked how she did that in the court room, she replied, “I didn’t know if I would be able to do it, but when I stood up in the courtroom, God gave me strength.”
If God can give Terrilynn the strength to forgive her son’s murderer, then He can give you the strength to let go of your hurts so you can embrace His healing. Put down your spear, revenge does more harm than good.

No comments:

Post a Comment